Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ten Things Learned During Exam Prep

Exam prep continues apace Chez Wiles. As you might imagine, in such a serious and focused and studious atmosphere, Carter and Darling Daughter are learning by leaps and bounds.
Even I have learned a thing or two these past few days, including:

  1. Lionel, the 12-pound indoor cat does not choose to be worn as a hat
  2. The refrigerator contains the very same items it did 15 minutes ago. 
  3. Ditto the pantry. 
  4. The Rapture may not have occurred last weekend, but in one mom's humble -- no make that, "absolutely accurate" --  opinion, Facebook forebodes the end of all learning, focus and individual advancement. 
  5. Nobody else’s mom is as mean as I am. 
  6. French is easy. French exams? Not so much. 
  7. Josie-the-Rescue-Dog will eat green beans. And broccoli. And asparagus. And people of all ages will laugh.
  8. Cleanliness may, indeed, be next to godliness. But it’s not next to my kids. Or their rooms.  Not this week. 
  9. Oreo milkshakes are magic – which, sadly, does not translate to higher grades. 
  10. Everybody has a system for studying. For some people (to whom I gave birth), “system” translates into “a lack thereof.” I’m just sayin’. 
In all honesty, I shouldn't poke fun. No amount of studying would help me successfully pass Darling Daughter’s eighth grade exams – much less Carter’s tenth grade ones. And so, I cook. Tonight we had Grilled Ginger Lime Chicken – a new favorite, and super easy.


Grilled Ginger Lime Chicken
Try serving this with savory Cinnamon Lime Rice.

Juice of two (juicy) limes
¼ cup canola oil
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 pinch cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon kosher salt

6-8 boneless chicken thighs or breasts 


Combine all ingredients in a plastic bag and allow to marinate 30-60 minutes in the refrigerator.  Remove chicken from bag (discarding marinade) and grill, over indirect heat, just until done.  Do not overcook.

3 comments:

ChampagneMaker said...

haha there's a reason I'm a slave to recipes...i knit, i do not cook! all those yummy ingredients are to be...marinated? how long? basted? dipped? I know, I know, bless my heart...but Cheri, I knit! Cook? I need you! Damn girl, we'd make a hell-of-a wife!

ChampagneMaker said...

Ok, just read the real post and not my email...hahaha fanks arot! Off to the grocery store :D xoxox

PalmettoGirl said...

Ha! If I could knit the way you do, I'd never again pick up a saucepan. (OK, I'd RARELY again pick up a saucepan.) So sorry for the glitch -- I had some formatting issues. Still, hope y'all enjoyed the chicken. After years of soy sauce-based marinades, this is our new family favorite -- particularly when served with Cinnamon Lime Rice. (Sounds bizarre, I know, but it's crazy good.)